Welcome to my Blog!

Hi and Welcome!

I am pretty new to blogging, but I love reading blogs and looking at all of the creative ideas other cottage lovers have! I love thrifting, vintage items, and entertaining. I am also trying to start my own business, using my very own creativity. I make little girls Tutu's and I love making fun creative signs. I am learning to sew and can't wait to create with you! I am working on new inventory for the new year, so I will be updating it as much as I can!

Thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Warmed by the Fire

So, Tablescape Thursday on Between Naps on the Porch inspired my fireside dinner tonight.  Luckily, we got the kids in bed and my sweet husband and I enjoyed a romantic candle lite, fireside dinner... Well, other than me snapping pictures.  So for my Foodie Friday addition

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

Fireside dinner with plenty of wood for the COLD COLD night!



I love this soup.  It is very filling and full of flavor



Recipe:

Ingredients


I use a deli roasted chicken and just shred the meat
2 (13.5 ounce) cans canned coconut milk
2 cups Chicken Stock
1 (1 inch) piece ginger or galangal, thinly sliced
4 stalks lemon grass, bruised and chopped
10 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
1 pound sliced mushrooms 
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon red curry powder or red curry paste
1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes ( omit if you don't like the heat)

Directions


Pour the coconut milk and 2 cups of Chicken Stock in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add the ginger/galangal, lemon grass, and lime leaves; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flavors are infused. Strain the coconut milk into a new pan and discard the spices. Simmer the sliced mushrooms in the coconut milk for five minutes. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Season to taste with curry powder.

To serve, reheat Chicken in the soup, and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with green onion and red pepper flakes.
 
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.  The original recipe called for shrimp and water instead of chicken stock, but I enjoy the added flavor of the stock. 
 
I really enjoy trying different cultures food.  Thai and Greek are two of my favorite. 
 
Do you guys have any favorite dishes from other cultures?
 


Don't forget to check out the other great dishes at:


6 comments:

  1. The flavors sound awesome. I'm looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Happy New Year.I made almost exactly the same soup as yours for an appetizer for my New Year dinner. The only things I had not in the soup whas the chicken and the sugar.
    We fried some big scrimp and put them on a bamboo toothpick and served the scrimp in very small glasses filled with the hot soup. I was a big succes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe. I want to try it. It sounds very similar to one I had from an Indian restaurant and loved. I am bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very pretty soup bowl. Would be lovely to eat in front of the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely Thai soup. I have a similar version that is a favorite in our home. Your recipe is fabulous. Have a great day and enjoy Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you posted a recipe from one of my cultures, so this is going in my recipe file, sound delicious.

    I lived in California for almost 50 years and the restaurants there reflect so many cultures. I am always up for trying something new, so its hard to pick a favorite, but as they say, variety is the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete